H-1B Non-immigrant Worker Specialty Occupation

Brief Introduction 

  • Visa has annual quota of 65,000 an additional 20,000 allocated for individuals who hold an U.S. master’s degree or higher;
  • Visa must be filed by U.S. employer starting the first week of April of each year;
  • H-1B visas are valid for 3 years. You may apply for another 3-year extension, with a total of 6 years;
  • H-1B workers who are petitioned for or employed at an institution of higher education or its affiliated or related nonprofit entities or a nonprofit research organization, or a government research organization are not subject to this numerical cap;
  • Spouse and unmarried children under 21 years of age may seek admission in the H-4 non-immigrant classification. Note: Certain H-4 dependent spouses of H-1B non-immigrants can file Employment Authorization.  


  • For the job to be qualified as specialty occupation, one of the following criteria must be met:
    • Bachelor’s or higher degree or its equivalent is normally the minimum entry requirement for the position
    • The degree requirement for the job is common to the industry or the job is so complex or unique that it can be performed only by an individual with a degree
    • The employer normally requires a degree or its equivalent for the position
    • The nature of the specific duties is so specialized and complex that the knowledge required to perform the duties is usually associated with the attainment of a bachelor’s or higher degree

  • For the visa applicant to be qualified to work in the specialty occupation, the visa applicant must meet one of the following criteria:
    • Hold a U.S. bachelor’s or higher degree required by the specific specialty occupation from an accredited college or university
    • Hold a foreign degree that is the equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s or higher degree in the specialty occupation
    • Hold an unrestricted state license, registration, or certification which authorizes you to fully practice the specialty occupation and be engaged in that specialty in the state of intended employment
    • Have education, training, or progressively responsible experience in the specialty that is equivalent to the completion of such a degree, and have recognition of expertise in the specialty through progressively responsible positions directly related to the specialty


  • ​Step 1:
    • US employers submit an LCA (Labor Condition Application) to the Department of Labor. LCA is to show that the employer will pay the beneficiary a wage which is no less than the wage paid to similarly qualified workers or, if greater, the prevailing wage for your position in the geographic area in which you will be working;
  • Step 2
    • Employer Submits Completed Form I-129 along with proof of the above requirements to the USCIS. Current processing time is about 3-6 months as the expedited service has been suspended;
  • Step 3
    • While your H-1B Petition is pending and you are in the United States, you may continue to work using your OPT for the gap period between your OPT expiration date and October 1, when the H-1B visa will be active; if you are outside the United States, you need to apply for visa at the U.S. Consulate in your country.  




  • 6万5千个名额,和额外2万个名额分配给持有美国研究生学位或更高的学位的持有人
  • 4月的第一个星期由美国雇主提交
  • 签证一般有效期位三年。之后可以申请一个3年的延期,总共有6年
  • 请雇主是高等教育机构,或是与其相关的非营利机构,或是非营利的研究组织,或是政府的研究组织部门,则可免除每年H-1B名额的限制
  • 配偶和21岁以下子女客货的H4的非移民签证。在符合条件的情况下,H4配偶也可以申请工作许可。


  • 工作要符合专业职业需要满足以下四条中的至少一条
    • 入门职位通常是需要至少本科或以上或同等学历
    • 行业内普遍对该职位有学历要求,或是该职位比较复杂和独特的,只能由具有学位的员工执行
    • 雇主对该职位通常需要学历或同等学历
    • 职位的具体职责的性质很专业,很复杂,执行该职责所需的知识通常需要通过本科学位或以上学位来获得的

  • 签证申请人需要符合以下四条中的至少一条,可以符合在该职业专业工作
    • 需要持有经过认证的学院或大学的美国本科以上的专业学位
    • 持有相当于美国本科以上学历的专业外国学位
    • 持有无限制的国家执照,注册或认证,授权您充分实践该专业职业,并从事有关该专业职业的工作
    • 具有相当于完成此类学位的专业的教育,培训或逐步负责的经验,并通过与专业直接相关的逐步负责任的职位来认可专业知识​​


  • ​第一步:
    • 美国雇主向劳工部提交LCA(劳动条件申请)。 LCA将表明雇主将向申请人支付不低于,或是更高,对类似资格的雇员支付的工资。您在您将要工作的地理区域的工资。
  • 第二步:
    • 雇主提交完成的I-129表格以及上述要求的证明给移民局。因为加急服务暂停目前,现在的处理时间约为3-6个月。
  • 第三步:
    • 在您的H-1B申请获批之前,如果您在美国,您可以继续使用您的OPT,在您的OPT到期后与H-1B签证生效前,也就10月1日之前的这段期间内工作;如果您在美国境外,您需要在您所在国家的美国领事馆申请签证。